MHSA Archival Description Record
Title and Physical Description
Bergthal Mennonite Church Women in Mission fonds. — 1956-2006. — 27 cm of textual records. — 8 photographs
The Bergthal Mennonite Church Women in Mission gathered first in 1956 as "Busy Fingers" to become involved in relief and mission work by learning about it and by contributing financially to it. It was made up of women who were members of the Bergthal Mennonite Church near Didsbury, Alberta, but it was not subordinate nor did it report to that church. It formally reported to the Alberta Women in Mission which in turn reports to the Canadian Women in Mission bodies. It was affiliated with the Mennonite Church Alberta and Mennonite Church Canada. The BMCWM ended its activities in 2006
Scope & Content
The fonds consists of three series: A) General Files, B) Photos, and C) Plays
Variations in Title Proper
Also known as Busy Fingers fonds and Bergthal Women in Mission fonds
Source of Supplied Title
Title based on the contents of the fonds
Source of Acquisition
Gift from Bergthal Mennonite Church Women in Mission, 2003-2008
Access to personal information is subject to legislation and MHSA
See Files Inventory
Associated records may be found in the Bergthal Mennonite Church fonds
For books related to the fonds, see the following books catalogued in the MHSA library
- Dick, C.L. (1980). Conference of Mennonites in Alberta History.
Calgary: Conference of Mennonites in Alberta.
- General Conference Mennonite Women's Mission Association. (1968). General Conference Mennonite Women's Mission Association Manual.
- General Conference Mennonite Women's Mission Association. (1975). The Manual of Women in Mission of the General Conference Mennonite Church.
- Goering, Gladys V. (1980). Women in Search of Mission: A History of the General Conference Mennonite Women's Organization. Newton, KS: Faith and Life Press.
- Goerzen, Erna. (2007). Bergthal Mennonite Women in Mission: 1956-2006. Didsbury, AB: Bergthal Mennonite Women in Mission.
- Hooge, Katie. (1977).
The History of the Canadian Women in Mission: 1952-1977. Winnipeg, MB: Canadian Women in Mission.
- Neufeld, Anne. (1977). Alberta Women in Mission: 1947-1977. Coaldale, Alberta: Alberta Women in Mission.
- Neufeld, Anne. (2002). Alberta Women in Mission: 1947-1997. Coaldale, Alberta: Alberta Women in Mission.
- Patkau, Esther. (2002). Canadian Women in Mission: 1895-1952-2002. Saskatoon, SK: Canadian Women in Mission.
Accession 2003.018, 2008.008
Last updated April 2013 - Jim Bowman
A. General Files. — 1956-2006. — 26 cm textual records
The series consists of general files that include copies of constitutions, minutes, reports, directories, event management and correspondence. Arranged according to date
1-1 Busy Fingers - Constitution - 1956-2003
1-2 Bergthal WM - Minutes and Letters - 1977
1-3 Bergthal WM - Minutes and Letters - 1978
1-4 Bergthal WM - Minutes, Constitution - 1979
2-34 Minutes - 1979-1992
1-5 Bergthal WM - Minutes, Letters - 1980
1-6 Conferences and Executive Workshops - 1980-1986
1-7 Bergthal WM - Minutes, Letters - 1981
1-8 Bergthal WM - 1982
1-9 Bergthal WM - 1983
1-10 Bergthal WM - 1983-1984
1-11 Bergthal WM - 1984
1-12 Bergthal WM - 1985
1-14 Financial Records - 1985-2006 [separated to Oversize "A"]
1-15 Bergthal Women in Mission - 1986-1987
1-16 Bergthal Women in Mission - 1989-1991
1-17 Bergthal WM, Minutes and Correspondence - 1992
1-18 Bergthal WM - 1993
1-19 Minutes, Reports and Records, 1994-1999
2-20 Reports, Meeting notes, Litanies - 1994-1999
2-21 Address List - General Conference Women in Mission, Canadian Women in Mission, Alberta Women in Mission - 1995-2005
2-22 Roll Call - 1997-2006
2-23 Minutes - 2000-2002
2-24 Minutes - 2000-2003
2-25 Correspondence - 2001-2003
2-26 Project Sheets - 2002-2004
2-27 Bergthal WM - Minutes - 2002-2005
2-28 Canadian Women in Mission Retreat - 2003-2005
2-29 Alberta Women's Retreat - 2003-2004
2-30 Correspondence - 2004-2006
B. Photographs. — undated. — 8 photographs
The series consists of unidentified and undated photographs. Arranged as found
1-13-1 Remember the Gonzalez family in Mexico (Rolando, Margaret, Roland, Keith, Karen and Kelly; Wycliffe Bible Translators nd
1-13-2 Mennonite Christian Hospital
1-13-3 Asian woman
1-13-4 two nurses and a man
1-13-5 two women and a girl
1-13-6 two nurses
1-13-7 woman at pulpit
1-13-8 two women in front of house and a man working
C. Plays. — [ca 1990s]. — 1 cm textual records
The series consists of plays produced by the Bergthal Women in Mission. Arranged according to subject
2-31 Seedtime and Harvest - n.d.
2-32 The Wise and Foolish Pilgrims - n.d.