MHSA

Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta


 

MHSA Archival Description Record

Title and Physical Description
Mennonite Church of Lacombe fonds. — [ca. 1940-ca. 1949]. — 3 cm of textual records. — 1 church stamp

Administrative History
The Mennonite Church of Lacombe began services about 1928, and formally organized in 1941. The congregation originated through immigration from the Soviet Union. Abraham Epp was minister from 1941 to 1944, the only ordained person which served this congregation during its history. The group dissolved due to internal strife and decline in membership, as those farmers who only rented their land left the area for more suitable communities. The congregation dissolved in 1945. It had been affiliated with the Conference of Mennonites in Canada (1942-1945).

Custodial History
The records were transferred to the Conference of Mennonites in Alberta.

Scope & Content
The fonds consists of the congregational register, minutes, stamp, and correspondence.

Source of Supplied Title
Title based on the contents of the fonds

Source of Acquisition
Gift by Conference of Mennonites in Alberta through Henry Goerzen, CMA Archivist, 2002

Access Restrictions
Access to personal information in church registers & financial records is subject to MHSA privacy policy

Finding Aids
See Files Inventory

Related Materials
For records related to the Mennonite Church of Lacombe fonds, see Mennonite Church Alberta fonds

Accruals
Not expected

Notes
Accession 2002.018
Language German
Last updated 28 Jul 2003 - Judith Rempel
Revised June 2012

Files Inventory

1 - Familienverzeichnis [family register] and Gliederverzeichnis [membership list]. – [ca. 1940-ca. 1949]
2 - Protokoll den Bruederbandueng der Lacombeen mennonitengrueppe [Minutes]- 1941-1944
3 - Correspondence - 1940-1949
4 - Lacombe Church Stamp [non-archival] - n.d. [separated to oversize]

General Queries/Comments: Contact MHSA