MHSA

Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta


 

MHSA Archival Description Record

Title and Physical Description
Vauxhall Mennonite Church fonds. — 1939-2000. — 3 cm of textual records

Administrative/Biographical History
General Conference Mennonites in Vauxhall, Alberta began meeting in 1936. Formal organization of the Vauxhall-Grantham Mennonite Church took place in 1938 and in that year they moved and renovated a small building to serve as their place of worship. Eventually the hamlet of Grantham became depopulated and the church became known as Vauxhall Mennonite Church. The congregation was led in worship by Aeltester Wilhelm Martens, assisted by Rev. Franz Janzen and Rev. Gerhard Neufeld. After Martens' departure, Janzen and Neufeld carried on for about two years, but Martens was formally replaced in 1959 by Rev. Jacob Krause. During World War II, there was anti-German sentiment in Vauxhall. Both Vauxhall Mennonite Church and Vauxhall Mennonite Brethren Church buildings were burned to the ground on June 18, 1940. Arson was determined to be the cause, but no charges were laid in the hopes that this might improve relations with their non-Mennonite neighbours. In 1950 the Church had 51 members; in 1965, 53; in 1985, 34; in 1995, 36; in October 2000 it dissolved and the 36 members found other places to worship. The congregation was affiliated with the Conference of Mennonites in Alberta, the Conference of Mennonites in Canada, and the General Conference Mennonite Church. It amalgamated with Hays Mennonite Mission about 1962. It also owned and operated a cemetery together with the Mennonite Brethren.

Scope & Content
The fonds consists of membership records and church register books

Variations in Title Proper
Also known as Vauxhall-Grantham Mennonite Church fonds

Source of Supplied Title
Title based on the contents of the fonds

Source of Acquisition
Anonymous Gift, 2003

Access Restrictions
Access to personal information in church registers is subject to MHSA privacy policy

Finding Aids
See Files Inventory

Associated Materials
Associated records may be found at the Mennonite Heritage Centre, Winnipeg.

Related Materials
For books related to the fonds, see:

  • Harder, Anne (2001). The Vauxhall Mennonite Church. Calgary, AB: Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta
  • Dick, C.L. (1981). Conference of Mennonites in Alberta History. Calgary: Conference of Mennonites in Alberta.

Notes
Accession 2003.025
Also known as Vauxhall-Grantham Mennonite Church
Last updated 13 Oct 2007 - Judith Rempel
Updated June 2012

Sources:

  • Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopaedia Online <http://www.mhsc.ca/encyclopedia/contents/v3883me.html>.
  • Harder, Anne (2001). The Vauxhall Mennonite Church. Calgary, AB: Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta
  • Dick, C.L. (1981). Conference of Mennonites in Alberta History. Calgary: Conference of Mennonites in Alberta.

Files Inventory

Box 1
1 - 1 Transfer Papers, Notices, etc. - 1975-2000
1 - 2 Church Register Book - 1950-approx 1962 [separated to vertical file box #3]
1 - 3 Register of Baptisms, Marriages, Deaths and Funerals - 1939-2000 [copy; original returned to Government of Alberta]

General Queries/Comments: Contact MHSA