MHSA Archival Description Record
Title and Physical Description
West Zion Mennonite Church fonds. — 2001. — 2 cm of textual
The first Mennonite to settle in the Carstairs-Didsbury area of Alberta was Andrew Weber, who came from Ontario in 1894. The West Zion Mennonite Church began services and formally organized in 1901 and is located near Carstairs. Israel R. Shantz is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation has been affiliated with the Northwest Mennonite Conference (1903- ) and the Mennonite Church (1903-2003). The language of worship is English. The congregation originated through colonization of Alberta from Ontario, but was unusual for its time, as half the membership in the 1950s was of British descent. Ministers who served prior to 1960 included Israel R. Shantz, Amos Weber, Moses H. Schmitt, Noah R. Weber, Henry Weber, Allan Good, Norman Buschert, Alvin Steckly, Abe Reist, Ezra Stauffer, Linford Hackman, Henry J. Harder and Gordon Buschert.
Gift by West Zion Mennonite Church to Conference of Mennonites in Alberta.
Scope & Content
The fonds consists of a centennial scrapbook and essays.
Source of Supplied Title
Title based on the contents of the fonds
Source of Acquisition
Gift by Conference of Mennonites in Alberta through Henry Goerzen, CMA Archivist, 2002.
See File Inventory
Northwest Conference Mennonite fonds located at Historical Library &
Archives (Goshen, IN)
Last updated 21 Apr 2002 - Judith Rempel
Revised June 2012
1-1 Centennial Scrapbook - 2001
1-2 Alvin Steckly - 2001
1-3 "Being a Mennonite" - 2001